Re: MG styling and Eastman's Drivel Part 2 -Reply

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: MG styling and Eastman's Drivel Part 2 -Reply
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:12:30 -0600
Bill Eastman wrote:

> <snipity snip>

> Bob has hit upon exactly the point that I was trying to make.

> <nervously snipping>

> I agree with Bob that this would be automotive suicide.

> <more scary snipping>

> Bob is also right that the car would be expensive and very few people would
> buy it

He's really got me worried now. I think Bill is saying that a "proper MG," as
long as it had styling queues from his beloved 'A', and as long as it was
completely modern, could sell for $35K to $50K and still be a hit in the US of
A and the World. Was that your point Bill? I don't wish to paraphrase too much
here and lose your point.

How about:

The last Mazda RX-7
The current Mitsu 3000 Utlra-Gizmo
The lamentable and missing 300ZX
The Supra before it moved off to Palm Springs.

The Gestapo Triplets: Boxer, Merc, and Z-3

Maybe the Jaguar XK-8, or a Morgan, or the MGF.

The Corvette.
The Viper.
The pony cars.

The Fiero -- died 10 years ago to give us another minivan!

Other than none of above looking like an 'A', ain't the execution of any of the
above some modern designers interpretation of the Sports Car? There is plenty
of finance plans that could (or could have) put these cars in your garage.

When the MGs (and Triumphs) were new, you had to decide between a fairly nicely
equipped mid-size American car or one of these foreign jobs. I don't think that
segment is being addressed today and hasn't been since (sacrilege) the TR7
died. Maybe the Fiat or Alfa Spyders if you had the Italian slant. But isn't
that type of car all gone?

Let's say that today you can buy a mid-size, nicely equipped car for $18 to
$20K. There is nothing that will touch it in a modern Sports Car. All you have
today is the Miata. Them Mazda folks must be thrilled that all the 'new' sports
cars are 2x the price of their offering. I guess the Z-3 (little motor) is
close.

My Point: There should be a Sports Car that can be bought new for about the
same price as a nicely equipped mid-size car. Other than the Miata -- and it,
too, is having too many pricey extras piled upon it -- there is no such
creature. And it appears the car designers (or the car decision makers) have no
interest in the market.

MG-RIP

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"With a powerful enough word processor you can right-justify anything."