Re: Wheel Alignment

To: mgpilot2@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Wheel Alignment
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 16:02:52 EST
Kathy,

 I'm afraid you've just had a bad experience with an alledged mechanic.
The only way the wheel bearings could affect the alignment would be for
them to be so worn that the wheel/hub was literally wobbling on the
spindle.  And then no amount of grease (re-packing) would have any effect
on either.

  I would suggest that you and/or your husband go back to the alignment
shop and have a word with the owner/manager.

 The price for either operation is, IMHO excessive.  On the MG, the only
adjustment that can be made is the toe-in. nothing else is adjustable.
Most reputable shops can set that in a few minutes for a lot less. I've
never had to pay over $25.00 to get the toe set.

As for $50.00 to repack the wheel bearings, unless their hourly labor
rate is outrageous, that too in on the high side.

When you return, make sure you bring a cataloge from Moss, VB, or
whoever, to let the head honcho at the shop know exactly how much those
little knock-offs cost. And make sure he pays for the thing.

 If it's all to no avail, don't threaten to use the pipe wrench to remove
his head, just place a call to the local BBB and Chamber of Commerce and
register a complaint.
Then, very loudly tell everyone you know to avoid this turkey like the
plague!!

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget