Gray Oil???

To: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
Subject: Gray Oil???
From: "Michael F. Adamson" <madamson@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 15:25:58 -0500
Chris Chandler wrote:

<<      I've got a small problem (well, there's several small and large
ones
actually...), but the one I want to clear up at the moment is the gray
oil in my car.

        I did an oil change recently and the oil that came out was gray i=
color.  It has since (I left it sitting in the pan) seperated into what
appears to be water and oil...>>

Bingo!  water+oil=3Dgray oil

<< does this indicate a bad head gasket?  If
not, what is it?>>

Chris, chris, the members of this list are good but I think you are looki=
ng
for the Amazing Kreskin.  You need to give US a few hints!      =

Are you topping up the radiator or is the fluid level down over a period =
of
time?  Any smell of antifreeze at the tail pipe end?  A yes to any of the=
se
and yes you could have a bad head gasket.  A cracked block (heaven forbid=
)
could also be the culprit.

A no to the above and that leaves us with condensation or someone pouring=

water into the engine.  Is your car a daily driver?  Is it garaged?  Kids=

in the neighborhood?

<<Thanks for any suggestions/help.>>

You're welcome,

Michael.

Old (real old) Mini racer (on ice, not me, the min) =