Re: Purchase of new MGA -Reply plus misc hooey

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Purchase of new MGA -Reply plus misc hooey
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:16:43 -0800
Bill Eastman wrote:

> For those of you out of touch with the present teenager,  that is the
> universal hand sign for "loser."

I enjoyed that - after all today's teenagers will be running the country in 10
to 15 years!

> The brace shown is one of my designs from about 10 years
> ago.  It is quite high tech really with the structure being made from
> carbon reinforced epoxy and titanium.

What are you designing these days? For what it's worth I enjoy your erudite
messages, clear English and virtually no typos. You must reread your messages
and use your mailer's spell checker! :-)

As a long ago industrial designer, I enjoyed the dissertatons on sports car
design, the car's soul, etc. If you ever finid a long out of print book called
"Automobile and Culture" you should own it as one of the best analysis of car
design over the past 75 years in comparison to what was occuring in the general
society at the time.

I was at Le Mans in 55 when the MGA debuted - a great machine on the track and
personal driving. It is NOT my favorite MG design as I always thought it was
trying to be a poor man's XK120. For my money, the TC will still rank as one of
the classic auto designs of the 20th century while being one of the worst
mechanical designs imaginable! :-)

Keep the messages flowing

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA