Re: Purchase of new MGA / MG comparison

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Purchase of new MGA / MG comparison
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 23:33:07 -0500 (EST)

> At 06:06 AM 11/27/97 -0800, Ross MacPherson wrote:
>  >At 01:41 PM 11/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>  >>   Just an observation, whenever I drive the "A" I always get at
>  >>least
>  >>1 thumbs up and at least 1 "great car". When I drive the "B" seldom do I
>  >>get any comments. The "B" is a more comfortable and quicker car, but the
>  >>"A" has the looks. The TD, TF and TR3 fall into the same catagory as the
>  >>"A". They have classic lines. Don't get me wrong I love the "B" but if I
>  >>had to choose 1 I'm afraid the "A" would be the one.
>  >>...Art
>  >>
>  >Allow me to offer my $.02...
>  >
>  >When driving the TC, particularly with the windscreen down, I may see two

> or
>  >three cars whose occupants DON"T point, grin and/or wave.  I think rarity
>  >may have something to do with it.  I have an aquaintance with an M type
who
>  >almost stops traffic (and not just the traffic behind him either!)
>  >
>  >  Ross MacPherson
>  > 1947 MG-TC 3528
>  > 1966 MGB-GT
>  >

IMHO:

TD/TF: The least practical, but the most fun to drive. I like to drive my TD
around town
          on nice summer days. Most T owners won't take em out in the rain or
winter. With
          only 50 HP and the 5.12  rear end, I wouldn't want to take her out
on the interstate.
          She handles very well though, the suspension is more than up to the
job.
          (I bet somebody out there will say they use one for their daily
driver and regularly
           take long trips at 70 mph.)  The T cars have a quaint antique look
with the running
          boards and the big radiator shell. They have the same type styling
as the Morgans
          but MG did it better! No heater, door locks, or roll up windows.

MGA:  I don't own one but I have a great admiration for them. I think they
look every bit as
           good as a Jaguar XKE and nothing looks better than that! They are
fine for highway
           speed and have a heater. Like the T's, owners generally don't like
to get them wet
           or salty.

MGB:  Practical enough to use as a daily driver. They have heaters and
roll-up windows.
           There are a lot of B's out there so the parts are cheaper. They
have unibody
           construction and are therefore much more rigid than the T's and
A's. (Feels more
           solid over the bumps. I think this is just a frame vs unibody
thing in general. The
           TD frame is probably strong enough to put a truck on, but all
frames twist
           a little. Opinions?)

MGB GT: Wonderful for winter driving, but you'll wish you had a roadster in
the summer.
            The only MG that will keep you completely dry in the rain. This
is the most
            practical of all MGs.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336
.