Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 21:09:49 -0800
Keith Wheeler wrote:

> but the
> TR-7 is the only one that looks "modern" to her eye.

        I went to a local car show with a buddy of mine, and we saw a TR-7.
His
first remark (re-marque?) was "When did Triumph put out a new sportscar?"
Simply
put, if you softened the lines of a TR-7, you could sell it as a '98, and the
public
would say "OK, how much?"  This holds especially true to us gen-x folks who
have
pierced whatevers and no job.  Guys about my age don't find the TR-7 too bad
looking,
and we think rubber-bumpered MGB's are OK too.  Of course, from what I've heard
about
the mechanics of a TR-7, they're a bugger to work on, but that's what non-MG
folks
said about my 'B.  I guess it's all in your point of view.
        As much as I hate to say it, if I could come across a cheap TR-7
convertible,
I'd buy it.  I wouldn't sell my 'B for it though.  I wouldn't go for the
hardtop
design either, they're pretty cramped little cars in that form.  Anyway, if
you'd
like to flame me for this revelation, go ahead, but when it comes to future
classics,
the wedge could be "the shape of things to come."

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College