Re: Performance suggestions:

To: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: Performance suggestions:
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 15:43:41 +0000
Matt Kulka wrote:

> >Question 2:  The vacuum advance in my distributor is stuck tight, and
> >one of the springs in the centrifugal advance is stretched so that it
> >doesn't even touch the posts until full advance.  I know no one's been
> >able to come up with new springs, are there any good suggestions for
> >distributor refurbishment?

Funny that, the thick spring was exactly the same on both my roadster and V8.
 The roadster had been pinking on hills even when retarded 3 degrees (which
made it run noticeably hotter) and then I found it was getting maximum
advance way too early.  Checked the V8 and found the vacuum advance unit
(relatively new) punctured and the centrifugal advance seized as well.
Running great though.  I know its a bit of a DPO bodge but I shortened the
long loop on both thick springs a bit.  If anything there is now not quite
enough advance at the higher rpms.

The roadster runs fine now but the V8 has a huge flat-spot when accelerating
at motorway speeds unless I floor the throttle.  Any suggestions, apart from
proper springs?  I've been told that the only way to get them is to send the
distributor to Lucas for a full rebuild.

PaulH.