Performance suggestions:

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Performance suggestions:
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:20:47 -0500
To recap, after a cross country drive, my poor '74 B came home with a
rod knock and spraying head gasket.  Not wanting to just patch it, I'd
torn the whole thing down and found (among other things) that my
camshaft and lifters were shot.

Yesterday the machine shop called to say:
1) The head will have to be surfaced due to some warpage,
2) They'll have to bore the cylinders at least .020" over.

Now I'm in for a camshaft *and* pistons.  As long as I'm ordering both,
I'm back to thinking of that 270 degree camshaft, and some flat top
pistons.  (Let's see, does that make the compression ratio 8.5:1 or
8.7:1?)

Question 1:  If I may impose on the list, are there any other
modifications I should make to get the best out of the 270 cam and flat
pistons?  I'd like to stick with the twin SU's and the standard exhaust
manifold if possible.  (And, naturally, cost is a consideration since
I'm already having to replace the cam and pistons.)

Question 2:  The vacuum advance in my distributor is stuck tight, and
one of the springs in the centrifugal advance is stretched so that it
doesn't even touch the posts until full advance.  I know no one's been
able to come up with new springs, are there any good suggestions for
distributor refurbishment?

My wife's cat sends greetings.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - now looking like a D-minus.