Why an MG?

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Why an MG?
From: john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 06:01:00 -0500
 John wrote :

MG>   It seems to be today that a decent MGB is gonna cost about $6000.  When I
MG>bought my first convertible MGB, my MGB-GT, and then the MG Farina Magnette
MG>(I needed four doors and four seats), they were considerably cheaper cars.
MG> The MGB, in perfect mint wonderful condition was $4000, the nice GT was
MG>2250, and the great original Magnette was 1700.  But now, with the exception
MG>of the Magnette, I don't think any one of them would be easy to find for les
MG>than $6000.
MG>   $6000 is another price bracket entirely.  Now that MGs are so damn
MG>expensive, what else do they have going for them?  I bring this up because I
MG>bought an 86 XJS, against all recommendations, for $5500.  It has 66,000
MG>miles and looks brand new.  I put another 2,000 miles on it without incident
MG>except the alternator belt broke.  I've done a tune up and tracked down an
MG>electrical fault and can safely say it is the easiest car to work on that
MG>I've ever dealt with.  It's faster, more comfortable, etc,etc, than the MGB.
MG>   Some people are paying as much as $10000 for MGBs!  Why an MGB when 10000
MG>buys a Bentley T1?  Why $6000 for an MGB when a XJ-S is $6000?   I ask this
MG>because if I don't watch out I'm gonna end up sell all the cars and getting
MG>an Aston DBS.  Expensive cars are cheap and the cheap cars expensive... WHAT
MG>GIVES?

MG>    John

 Well I have about $800 into my 71 midget, another $1200 and I'll have
a nice running/looking daily driver. ( the 88 celebrity will go into the
nearest waste can !!! ) I think that's a pretty cost effective sports
car/ street leagal go-cart .

 John Kahoon
 71 midget
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ                         john.kahoon@pcohio.com

 _ _
|_|_| PC-OHIO Interactive * 216-381-3320 * telnet://bbs.pcohio.net
|_|_| Combining The Best BBS & The Web at http://www.pcohio.net