Re: Why an MG?

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: Why an MG?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 21:46:35 EST
On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 17:47:45 -0500 (EST) MGMagnette@aol.com writes:
>Someone said:
>
>If you have to ask this question then you are on the wrong list.
>Safety Fast,
>       (proud that the only cars I have for daily use are MGBs)
>
>Such a flippant remarks are usually best left ignored, but the writer
>decided
>not to read the letter I had written and just give a knee jerk
>reaction.
>
>  After having only an MGB-GT as a daily driver, an MGB for all the
>days it
>wasn't running, and an MG Magnette for every other moment, I can
>honestly say
>that driving an MG daily is a foolish thing to do.  (Particularly here
>in not
>so sunny New Hampshire with the god awful winters we have.)
>  First of all, you need more than one.  Note that my critic said he
>is proud
>that his only daily driver CARS (plural) are MGBs.  Even when
>maintained to
>the hilt as my cars are, a 25 year old car is inherently less reliable
>than a
>new one.
>   Second, for all people say about blasting through the snow at Monte
>Carlo,
>the MGB is skiddish and handles like shit in the snow, even with the
>best
>tires.
>    Third, the heater is feeble even with a new core and a new valve.
>
>    Fourth, the seals only block out 90% of the wind.  That 10% is
>what
>freezes your ass off.
>    Fifth, MGBs are extremely noisy and the MGB-GTs in particular can
>cause
>hearing loss.  If you don't believe me, ask your doctor is prolonged
>expose
>to loud noises will cause hearing loss and see what he says.
>   I could go on and on, and if asked, I will.
>  What the hell, I'm gonna go on without being asked.  I got alot more
>critiques about MGs and MGBs in particular.  MGBs are damn slow cars.
>The
>Magnette is even slower.  They might have been faster than thier BMC
>brethren, but you are gonna live in the slow lane if you do any
>highway
>travel in your MG.  Not being able to accelerate when needed is not
>safe.
>   MGs are very very small.  In accidents, that is not good.  The only
>time
>the MGBs size has been helpful to me was at a gas station once.  The
>gas
>tanker made a very wide turn and the middle of the tanker was over the
>hood
>(yes, hood, not bonnet.  This is America.) of the MGB.  The MGB was so
>low
>that tanker could partially cross over it without touching it.   Had I
>been
> [...]

John,
   If you'lll stop to think about it, $6000 for a top quality MGB is NOT
expensive, espcecially when compared to a new one.
   HUH??
  The reason is, that's $6000 of today's money versus about $3000 of 30
year old money.
  That $3000 in 1967  represented about 1/2 the average annual income of
the typcial buyer.  Today the $6000 is about `1/3 to 1/4 of the average
annual income of the buyer.  So, actually, the car fell in value by 33-50
percent.
  Comparing dollars today with dollars some years ago is comparing apples
and oranges.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget