Cold holes are small holes!

To: madamson@compuserve.com, spawn@net-link.net
Subject: Cold holes are small holes!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:12:48 -0500 (EST)
Mike & Chris:

Since this discussion has exceeded my limits of knowledge, I decided to do an
experiment. I found a piece of 3/8 inch steel plate that I had drilled a hole
into with a 1/2 inch bit. I measured the hole diameter at room temperature,
then stuck the piece in the freezer for a few hours and measured again. After
the piece came back to room temperature, I measured again.

Results?

Before and after the deep feeze, the hole measured 0.501". While cold, the
hole measured 0.499". With the help of a blow torch, I raised the temperature
to where it was no longer comfortable to hold, and the measurement increased
to 0.503".

I can't say why the results were so, except for the intuitive argument I gave
before, but those were the results! (just in case my experimental procedures
are flawed, maybe someone else would like to repeat the experiment and see if
they get the same results)

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74