Re: Cold holes are small holes!

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <madamson@compuserve.com>, <spawn@net-link.net>
Subject: Re: Cold holes are small holes!
From: "Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:45:51 -0600
Dan et al.,

This reminds me of a happening at a NASCAR event last summer. According to
an ESPN report, officials had so and so's engine pulled down immediately
after a race and found the cylinder bore to be over the limit. Reportedly,
the driver's pit chief asked for a re-measurement after the engine cooled
down a bit, and guess what? The bore was in spec and was declared legal
after all.

Regards,

David F. Darby
White River Valley, Missouri USA

Dan Wrote:

> Since this discussion has exceeded my limits of knowledge, I decided to
do an
> experiment. I found a piece of 3/8 inch steel plate that I had drilled a
hole
> into with a 1/2 inch bit. I measured the hole diameter at room
temperature,
> then stuck the piece in the freezer for a few hours and measured again.
After