Re: Electric <-> Points

To: mhartwig@cbu.edu
Subject: Re: Electric <-> Points
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 21:46:35 EST
Probably your gap changes because of the wear in the dizzy itself,
probably the bushing at the lower end.
 As for burning up two sets of points from "Hotlanta" to "Elvisville",
Did you change the condenser at the same time? If not, that is probably
the cause, aggrevated too by the wear in the dizzy.
  Ive got the "antiquated point set up in my GT as well as the Midget,
and somewhat in Dan's vein, I carry a spare set of points and condenser
in the tool kit.  I've only had to use them twice.  Both times I loaned
them to  fellow club members to replace theirs. (one was a TR and the
other a Sprite -  obligitory inter-marque bashing)
 After some 90+ thousand miles on the same Dizzy in the GT, I can't
justify the expense for an electronic ignition. But there is now on the
market a crank fired distributorless ignition system using the GM style
twin lead coils (two coils for a 4 banger), that I have been drooling
over. "one of these days--------"
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget