Re: Computer Dweeb Thread (winter LBC topic)

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Computer Dweeb Thread (winter LBC topic)
From: "J. Neil Doane" <root@yeah.indstate.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 00:34:09 -0600 (CST)
Ack, who's bashing Macs? Easy now...:)  We all know Macs aren't the most
popular or have the most software available, but we all of course realize
that Macintosh makes the fastest PCs around barring Alpha systems (I'd put
any G3 or PPC604e 300/350 mhz against any dual Pentium systems around.)
And we all know Macs come with faster hard drives (SCSI built onboard,
which _few_ PCs have)...and I've yet to see a case that's easier to work
on than the 8600/9600/G3 cases.  And Macs are much more expandable than
PCs...more devices will fit on the integrated SCSI bus than the EIDE bus
on PCs.  I mean, hardware-wise, they are superior in almost every
conceivable way.

Many of the comments so far have involved comments about Macs from a
perspective of the OS.  Granted, we all know that MacOS is slow and
cumbersome and _doesn't_ perform as reliably as would we would like it to
sometimes, but we also must remember that Macs will run a variety of OSes
that utilize hardware better.  Rhapsody, for instance, is vastly
superior to Windows 95 (and Windows98) and takes full advantage of Mac's
standard RISC processor (which PCs also don't have excepting Alphas.)
BeOS and Linux also run on PowerPCs which makes for _powerful_
servers...so comments like "Macs lock up often." should really be said
"MacOS locks up often."  I'm not sure I can think of any
non-Windows95/98/NT OS that will run on an x86-based machine that won't
run on a Mac better actually. (And I can run Windows 95 with VirtualPC on
our G3 _faster_ than it will run on a Pentium 166...and that's while
running MacOS _at the same time_.)

Agreed, Windows 95 has more applications, but just because the parts are
more available for a Chevy Camaro doesn't mean it's a better car than a
Shelby or Lotus.

Also, more Macs are used to _make_ the effects you see from Hollywood than
any other platform (aside from SGIs), so that's one of the reasons you see
them in so many movies.

Diving into an asbestos suit,

Neil Doane