Re: MGA speedometer parts

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: MGA speedometer parts
From: Chuck Schaefer <crschaef@mc.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:51:17 -0600
Carl,

The gears I'm looking for are from a Jaeger (Smiths) SN6104/06. They are
made of a fiber material and have 25 teeth with a gear OD of 0.426

The shaft has a od of 0.197 and an overall length of 0.850 +/- from the
outside of the gear to the tip of the eccentric shaft. I can take more
measurements if you need them.

The MGB speedo I have has a Smiths Number SN 6144/00 and has plastic
gears with a different nuber of teeth. Would gladly trade a good Smith's
speedo for a good Jaeger SN 6104-006. Or even three gears!

Evidently the grease that was used on these in the factory, turned to
cement from age and lack of use. Then the speedo cable breaks the teeth
off the gear. I have cleaned the gunk out and lubricated the needle
shaft using watch oil. The gear shaft and other items have been lubed
with white lithium grease.

I would strongly recommend anyone out there restoring a vehicle that has
sat for a long time (many years) to look into their speedo before
causing any damage.

Chuck