Which side up (head gasket)??? -Reply

To: js-allen@students.uiuc.edu
Subject: Which side up (head gasket)??? -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 15:47:21 -0500

>>> Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu> 12/08/97 08:33pm
>>>
>Hello all,
>       I'm getting ready to put my MGB's cylinder head back on...
>       I had the head honed/ground flat, but not the top of the block
>(which is still installed in the car)....

I just stumbled over a tidbit of info you might find handy:

The threads for the head studs in the block tend to pull up out of the
block.  This causes an interesting problem for your head gasket which
would like to seal on a flat surface.  Run your finger over the stud
holes, and if you feel the thread pulling up, take a very large drill
bit (much larger than the hole) and carefully remove the protruding
thread.

I haven't done this yet, but I've heard it from more than one source,
and it sounds like a cheap and easy while-you're-at-it.

Matt Kulka
'74 B - Headless.