Re: Which side up (head gasket)???

To: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Re: Which side up (head gasket)???
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 20:11:49 -0600
Der schwarze Buccaneer wrote:

> Hello all,
>         I'm getting ready to put my MGB's cylinder head back on after a
> 'minor' rebuild job, but I'm looking at the new head gasket with just a
> bit of confusion, to be quite honest.  The old, I think, had fiber on both
> sides of a metal template.  This new one has fiber on one side and
> bare metal on the other.  Does it make any difference which side goes up?
  <snip>
>         Factual knowledge, logical wisdom, empirical experience, good
> guesses, or bituminous flames appreciated, in that order!
>
>                                                 -Scott Allen

Dear Cuz,

I don't know where this fits into the closing paragraph but I've always
held the theory that the metal always faces the hotter side. That goes
for head gaskets, manifold gaskets, and exhaust donuts. So metal side up
as the head is hotter.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 69CGT, 75TR6, 60Elva
"Santa Claus wears a red suit
    he's a communist.
"Has a beard and long hair
    must be a pacifist."