Re: Sports Car History

To: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Sports Car History
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:31:19 -0500
>Which car company invented the "Sports-Car"? I always
>assumed Cecil Kimber started it all with Old Number One.

Here's something to make a nice, drawn out, messy flame ridden thread. Let
me start it. =)

>From what I have seen and read, most of the people who built the "first"
cars built them for speed, handling, and endurance. So, I think that most
of the early cars could be considered "sports cars". Remember, the first
true test of the cars were their performance on the track, not how well
they ferried passengers about.

The rift between sports cars and "other cars" (eg: Tourers, Saloons,
coupes) began when the affluent began purchasing cars to replace horse
drawn carraiges.  These were the first cars that differed from the "sports"
cars because of creature comforts - a roof, leather interior, etc. This
started the division between luxury cars and sports cars. (who would race a
stanley steamer??? =)

So, to answer your question, whoever started racing their cars first! =)

BEN RUSET - mailto:bruset@monmouth.com

See, think, and judge for yourself;
Do not let society do these things for you.
Safety Fast! - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis
Crossroads   - http://www.monmouth.com/~bruset
^^^ Personal Homepage