Re: Sports Car History

To: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: Sports Car History
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:35:02 -0500
Hi Ben:

I certainly agree with what you've said but don't knock the Stanley.  Many
Stanleys were raced and campaigned for years.  Check the Land Speed Record
attempts prior to WWI.  You'll find that Stanleys were very fast cars.  An
official record was set at Daytona about 1906 or 128 mph and the following
year a car reached at least 150 mph but was destroyed when it flipped.  In
1909, a "Gentleman's Stanley" could cruise at 60 mph.  The steamer was
killed by the self-starter which was introduced by Cadillac in 1913 but
steam car production continued in the US until the early '30s.  Doble
produced very high-quality steamers which were expensive and intended for
the traditional owner.

John McEwen