RE: Was Car Names/ Now Other Corporate Naming Problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, rfeibusch@loop.com
Subject: RE: Was Car Names/ Now Other Corporate Naming Problems
From: "EPMD- Van syckel, John" <vansyck@hq.1perscom.heidelberg.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 16:19:24 +0100
        On 17 Dec Rick Feibusch wrote:

>  Dear Listers -
>
>  Here is a look at how shrewd American business people translate their
>  slogans  into foreign languages.  The process could use some Process
>  Improvement...<snip>
>
>  When Vicks first introduce its cough drops on the German
>  market, they were chagrined to learn that the German
>  pronunciation of "v" is "f," which in German is the guttural
>  equivalent of "sexual penetration."
>
>  Not to be outdone, Puffs tissues tried later to introduce
>  its product, only to learn that "Puff" in German is a
>  colloquial term for a whorehouse.
        <snip>
> Can any of our non-American listers verify these for us?
> See you on the Funway!  Rick Feibusch - Venice, CA

        Yes, Rick

        "Fick" in German is the equivalent of the English "F" word that
means exactly what you said it does.  Vicks is now spelled "Wicks" in
Germany.

        You are right about "Puff" as well.  Prostitution is legal in
Germany (although there are illegal "Puffs" as I imagine they are more
profitable).
        I was driving past the legal one in Heidleberg last summer in my
MGB (OLBCC) and there was a truck parked in front.  The driver and his
helper were unloading PALLETS of paper towels (yes, plural - pallets).
Don't know what brand they were, and, no, I don't know the answer to the
obvious question.

        "Jay"
        1971 MGB (BRG, no PO)
        AMGBA #78-568