Re: Clubs (was Model A)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clubs (was Model A)
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:10:21 -0500
At 02:34 PM 12/17/97 -0800, rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch) wrote:
<snip>
>Steve-
>
>The problem is everybodys and the point is that I got your attention.
>
>Rick,

<snip>

Hi Rick,

Yes, you got my attention but I think for the wrong reasons. I still don't
think enjoyment of our LBC's should hinge upon approval from any other
automotive segment. I still don't understand the "check their brains"
statement. Sorry. I think that cruise nights should be open to all
specialty cars (LBC's, HotRods, Customs, Low Riders, 4x4's, Antiques). I
think we should all try to get along even if we don't share the enthusiasm
for someone elses choice of vehicle.

As far as the age issue with getting younger people into the hobby, the
problem is the same all over. The late Bill Burnham's last article ("In
Bill's Eye") was printed in the December '97 issue of Street Rodder
magazine that dealt precisely with this situation. His article addressed
the concern that there is a feeling that no new blood is coming into the
(street rod) hobby. His answer (very basically) is that there is in fact
new blood it's just in the form of older hobbyists. It's because this stuff
is usually so expensive or time consuming that younger people with growing
families either can't afford or have little time to dedicate to a car
hobby. It was a very nice article and kind of gives hope for the future of
car hobbies in general.

As I stated in my original reply, get your group together, go to these
events,  educate people about the benefits of enjoying LBC's. Everyone will
not flock to your choice of car but you may be the catalyst to get someone
on-the-fence to buy that MG or other LBC they've been thinking about.

I'm sending this to the list to see if anyone else has an opinion on this.
Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB
'76 MGB
'89 T-10 Blazer