Re: Distributor

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 18 Dec 1997 09:06:07 -0600
In <34987DB2.62B4DE4A@empirenet.com>, Gregory Kirk wrote:

>Actually, as I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong) the coil
>is in essence a large capacitor, whose fucntion is to hold a charge
>until such time as there is a path to ground.

You would be wrong.  A coil is an inductor.  It stores energy in a
magnetic field, not in an electric field.  As soon as the points open,
that magnetic field collapses, no matter whether there is a path to
ground or not.

>So the charge would in
>fact sit ( in the capacitor, not the rotor though) until the rotor came
>around and made contact with cap, wich provides the charge in the
>capacitor (ignition coil) with a path to ground ( via the spark plug).

The capacitor is not in the secondary circuit.  Its role is in
charging the primary of the coil.

        A. B. Bonds