Non-MG: Complete data loss

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Non-MG: Complete data loss
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 13:50:13 -0800
HI, All...

Just back from an unauthorized trip to oblivion, courtesy of a hard drive
that chose to self-destruct the same night that my air-conditioning
thermostat chose to self-destruct. Saturday morning (12-13) yielded a
chilly house (24 degrees F outside) and an even colder computer.

In spite of backups (one hdd to another hdd) my entire life for the last 7
years is toast! No e-mail addresses. No saved mail. No MG info. No Alaska
mail. No Dammit Dick mail. No Excel docs. No Word docs. No nothing. My hard
drives haven't been this clean since 1991.  [for the purists: yes I have
tape backups, but not current enough! I seem to not practice what I preach
to clients!]

IF you have a death wish, please feel free to ask me about Win95 and its
"being fun to use", "easy to use", etc. I have only fought with it since
Monday morning after replacing the hard drive (the warranty replacement for
the failed unit is still on hold -- my choice).   BTW, I would like to
retrieve my articles and my e-mail from the failed drive. Does anybody have
any idea where I can get this data retrieved? Western Digital told me of
one that charges from "$300 to $3000".  I didn't just win the lottery.
Can't even afford the $300 right now. Maybe I'll get lucky and can find a
data retrieval service to help with at least part of the loss.

[Tech info: the stops for the drive heads broke. Plastic parts break. The
platters are probably ok. No way to access them without opening the drive.
Open the drive: void the warranty! Bummer.]

If 'you' and I have been e-mailing privately, please send me your addresses.

You know, it's almost like looking at a burnt house... sentimental, fun,
reminiscent, technical, and important things are gone. All that's left,
right now, is what's stored in some of my feeble brain cells.

I'm rambling. I'm tired of fighting this problem for a week.

Oh BTW, MicroS--t won't recognize my Teac CD. The 95 software is on a cd.
Go figure. I DID figure out how to make it work, in spite of MS' forcing
tactics. Any further reinstalls (a GIVEN) will be simpler. I'm an optimist:
maybe I can go another 6 months without a failure!

Have a nice day.  :-(

Carol