Re: Non-MG: Complete data loss

To: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Subject: Re: Non-MG: Complete data loss
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 00:19:23 -0500
>[Tech info: the stops for the drive heads broke. Plastic parts break. The
>platters are probably ok. No way to access them without opening the drive.
>Open the drive: void the warranty! Bummer.]

Hopefully the heads haven't crashed into the platters.

This wouldn't happen to be a Western Digital Caviar 31600 3 platter 1.6gb
drive?

Perhaps you could plead with them to replace the broken components and
leave the platters alone?

>Oh BTW, MicroS--t won't recognize my Teac CD. The 95 software is on a cd.
>Go figure. I DID figure out how to make it work, in spite of MS' forcing
>tactics. Any further reinstalls (a GIVEN) will be simpler. I'm an optimist:
>maybe I can go another 6 months without a failure!

Right. You need a Windows 95 boot disk with a generic ATAPI cd-rom driver
(or the appropriate one for your drive)

I always keep one handy, just in case (although I use a SCSI CD-ROM so my
drivers are a bit different.)

Rest assured that Windows 98 will make a disk for you (no choice) and that
disk will support CD-ROM drives, so you won't have to go through the same
mess as you did today. I know it can be frustrating!

BEN RUSET - mailto:bruset@monmouth.com
MG Cars Webring Admin.
MG Cars Webring - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis/mgcars
Safety Fast! - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis