Re: Damn Ignition! (long - many replies)

To: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Damn Ignition! (long - many replies)
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:22:44 -0500
I'm going to consense all the emails on this subject into one nice one:

Chris Delling:

>The fact that the Lucas, and Lumination/Ignitor/Crane (whatever it is that
>you have) don't work suggests that the problem may well not be in any of
>the ignition modules, but instead with power to the unit, or grounding.

The Lumenition produced a weak spark, and the dizzy was frozen. I opted to

>By the way, the Lucas CEI system works off a six volt coil, while most of
>the aftermarket use 12 volts.  For this reason, you need to change the feed
>wire to the coil, as well as the coil.

That could be part of the problem - I believe the Atlas coil in there now
is a 12v coil.

>Stop throwing money at the problem.  A points type distributor might solve

No money to throw. I was considering putting the top up halfway and waiting
for a strong wind to push me along.

---

Rick Morrison:

>Ben, it may possibly be too far the push the MG to the NJ MG Club site,
>but I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you show up at a meeting (in the
>pickup or whatever) you won't have to drag someone down to look at the
>car.  Odds are you'll have more help than you can think of.  Besides, you
>may find that there is a member figuratively, " right around the corner"
>from you.

You may be right. But from what I have seen on the net, most of the people
are either north or west of me.

---

miker15@juno.com:

>Good point Rick - every club has people who have been there done that
>and I'll bet theres one or two folk in jersey who would
>take up the challenge - and i know David has given Ben some "bona"
>names - however - be very very scared Ben .......VERY VERY  scared
>if Ian Pender takes up the cudgel!!!!

Yeah, except that I have no money to pay for Ian's people to come out and
look at the car. Ian is two hours EACH way from here. The travel expenses
alone would kill me. Remember, I'm only 19. Well, 20 in January.

If there's anybody in Jersey who wants to look at the car, I'm MORE than
willing.

---

Rick Brown:

>Actually Ben there is one right around the corner from you
>Dave Deerson lives in Old Bridge - I dont have his Number handy
>but I can get it for you if you want it. Dave is a young 22 (?)
>enthusiast and is an auto mechanic by trade - has two MGs a chrome
>bumper roadster that was his uncles - who was lost in Vietnam and
>a really nice GT outfitted with flared fenders and a GM V6.

Old Bridge is still far away, but at least it's in the same area code. =)
If you would, please get it for me. I'd appreciate it.

---

JustBrits

>Ben, it may possibly be too far the push the MG to the NJ MG Club site,
> but I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you show up at a meeting (in the
> pickup or whatever) you won't have to drag someone down to look at the
> car.  Odds are you'll have more help than you can think of.  Besides, you
> may find that there is a member figuratively, " right around the corner"
> from you.

True. I'll have to get more information about the NJ Clubs.

Phew. Long post!

BEN RUSET - mailto:bruset@monmouth.com
MG Cars Webring Admin.
MG Cars Webring - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis/mgcars