Am I crazy?: Soon to be new B owner

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Am I crazy?: Soon to be new B owner
From: David Altman <DAltman@novations.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:11:55 -0700
Hello all-

        I've been lurking around here for the last few weeks, trying to
increase my MGB knowledge from zero.    Next Friday I'm going to drive
from Salt Lake to Kansas City to buy my friends brother's 1977 B.  I'm
actually taking my friends Harley to his brother and he is giving me the
B for $125 bucks to cover his back taxes.  So basically its costing me
the 125 plus another 125 to rent a tow dolly plus gas for my new
project.

        I've gotten a buch of pictures and the car looks a pretty good
shape considering this guy hasn't done anything to it.  The only real
rust is some cosmetic rust on the passeger side in front of the trunck.
He says the floor boards and rocker panels etc. are rust free.   The car
runs but goes through plugs in a manner of hours.  Looks like it will be
in need of a engine overhaul.   Top needs replacing, but the interior
looks in pretty good shape.    I know I'll sink some initial cash
overhauling the engine and buying a new top, just to get it road worthy.

        So how insane am I sounding?   I know nothing about car
restoration and plan on learning and doing as much on my own as I can.
I figure for 250 bucks and a weekend of driving I can have a great first
project car.    For some reason I've been pondering about getting a B to
restore for a couple of years and mentioned it to my friend one day,
which is how I found out his brother had the car.  Karma?

        You guys have mentioned a bunch of books in your dialogues.
Which 2 would you recomned as I start this adventure?      Any initial
thoughts before I pull the engine out?

        Looking forward to becoming a B owner.  (If I make the drive
back with the B sailing behind my Ford Ranger!)

thanks!

David Altman

David J. Altman Novations Group Inc.    daltman@novations.com
801-3757525     Fax 801-375-7595              "Nothing Profound at the
Moment"