Re: MGA superiority

To: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: MGA superiority
From: "Leigh Egbert" <leigh@eznet.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 23:31:49 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
To: leigh@eznet.net <leigh@eznet.net>
Date: Wednesday, December 31, 1997 8:36 PM

> >I had to disagree here, but I would think the bearings are only a very
> >minor contributor to an engine's willingness to rev.
> >
> The main reeason our LBC engines won't rev in the stratospheric band is
> their basic design.  Due to the most rediculous taxing structure, british
> engines were made with a small bore and a long stroke, thereby limiting
the
> upper rpm ranges somewhat.
> Leigh Egbert
> 46 TC
> 48 TC

Leigh,
You've gotten my curiousity up.  What kind of taxing structure could
dictate the squareness of an engine's cylinders?
Scott

The British, in their usual arcane way of doing things, taxed motorcars by
the RAC horsepower of the unit.  I am not entirely sure of the exact formula
without going back through my archives, as my memory isn't that fresh on the
subject.  The RAC horsepower was figured by the piston AREA x the number of
cylinders.  I know the TC was rated at 10.97 RAC horsepower.    Which is why
almost every vintage british auto has a small bore and a long stroke.
Leigh Egbert
46 TC
48 TC