Re: MGA superiority, long strokes, etc etc.

To: FunE4MG <FunE4MG@aol.com>
Subject: Re: MGA superiority, long strokes, etc etc.
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 00:49:21 -0700
>if Morris Garages had hit the perfect setup with a 3 main
>block....why did the ever develop the 5 main?  Because a stronger bottom end
>is inherently able to live with a higher RPM limit with added longevity...
>How many mains in the Honda power plant?
>
>Answers?...I don't have any magic advice to the 3 versus 5 main argument but
>will add this to each side....BALANCE everything that rotates when you've
>got it apart....weigh the rods both big and little ends....match the
pistons >gram for gram...ensure that the clutch mechanism is also balanced
to the >crankshaft AND indexed to the balancing position....al

>Tom

The quote from one of my former mechanics (he was good, I moved away) was
that on the 1800 engine, a three main MGB engine was "a bit whippy."  He
also indicated problems with breakage and warpage.  My guess is that this is
why they made a 5 main.  Another thing to consider is that a 5 main seems to
actually be lighter than the 3 main.  That should help the upper RPM range
on the 5 main engines, but as I said before, I think my 3 main MGB engine in
my MGA revs better than my 5 main in my '67 (no smog) MGB.  Maybe I better
check that distributor again, the shaft there tends to aquire rust and not
rotate freely after some time.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB