Midget clutch problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Midget clutch problems
From: Ron Madurski <rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 23:59:10 -0600 (CST)
:
:Here is what I have done so far.  As a review I was having problems with
:the slave cylinder not disengaging the clutch.  I cut up the plunger
:from the old slave cylinder to make up the slack in the mechanism.
:
:there were some suggestions on what to look for:
:
:Worn Pushrods - Bothe the master and slave pushrods are in good
:condition.
:
:Worn bushings - they all sem OK.
:
:One odd thing to me is that the clutch lever can be moved in and out
:about an inch.  Is this bad?
:
:The clutch is acting strangely now.  Once I fire up the engin I cannot
:get the car to go into gear.  I can start it in gear and take it out of
:gear but it will not go back into gear.  I am working on getting a
:slightly longer spacer in the slave as an adjustment but I don't hold a
:lot of hope for it.
:
:Any problems to be encountered when I end up pulling the engine to fix
:this properly?
:

Pulled the engine today.  The clutch mechanisms all look new, but I don't
think they are brand new.  The pin that holds the pushrod in looks like
it has never been removed.  There is an index slice in the pin and the clutch
lever so it looks like it has never been removed.  There  isn't any
excessive play anywhere.

I rebled the system and it did not make a difference.  I was hoping to find
something way out of whack when I pulled the engine and tranny but it all
looks just peachy.  I think that maybe the problem is that the master
cylinder is not putting out enough volume to push the clutch in all the
way.  Does anyone know how far the slave plunger should be moving.  Right
now it moves about 3/4" for the full clutch pedal travel.

The pushrod that goes into the slave sylinder is about 3" long, is that
long enough?

rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com