Re: Dashpot oil & MG songs

To: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil & MG songs
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 09:33:55 -0500
Bob MGT wrote:

> In a message dated 1/2/98 3:07:13 PM !!!First Boot!!!, simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com
> writes:
>
> > Happy new year to all,
> >  I wa messing around with the carbs on my 74 GT yesterday, trying to find
> >  a fix for the problem I have accelerating when the engine is cold.  I
> >  noticed that if I lift the piston in the carb it takes about a week to
> >  drop again.  It would appear that the 20W50 oil I have in there has the
> >  consistency of molasses in cold weather.  I am going to try some thinner
> >  oil and see what happens.
> >

> >  Cheers,
> >  Simon
> >

> I've noticed this also. In the cold, the dash pot oil is almost solid! It's
> scary that the oil inside the engine must be the same way. My engine really
> doesn't run right until some time after the gauge says the engine is warm. I
> figure this might be because the carbs take longer to warm up than the engine.
> Any opinions on this? I think the heat shield is working against us in the
> winter.
>
> Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
> EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
> 52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
> 71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336

Funny thing, this carb oil business.  I ran my B year round in Montana
and North Dakota without any such difficulty.  I always have subscribed
to using the same oil in the carb as I put in the crankcase.  I was
probably using at least a 5W-30 in those temps, but I can't remember for
sure.  Yeah, it got a little stiff, but that made the "accellerator
pump" function work better until the engine got completely warm.

One concession I made to the extreme cold (we ALL did!) was to install
an electric block heater and plug the car in overnight.  This served to
keep the coolant warm and may well have had a small affect upon the carb
damper oil.

The only time the car failed me in this extreme weather was when I
stupidly "high centered" the low-slug GT on an unplowed street.  Took me
forever to dig that sucker out.....

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/