Re: Supercharged LBC (now Crossflow head)

To: mgb.roadster@juno.com
Subject: Re: Supercharged LBC (now Crossflow head)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 00:28:29 +0000
> Chris,
>
> I was inclined to answer "I'm building a V8", but decided that was too
> brief!
>
> I saw the head on a B when I went to the Red River (NM) meet this fall.
> It looks great.  However I think that your recollection is right on.  You
> need to make some engine modifications before bolting on the head does
> much good.  It doesn't do much to increase breathing unless you change
> the cam, and add more carburetion. I figured the cost of the head would
> be about $2500.  You need, at the minimum: a cam, the head (with valves
> about $1500), I figured two Weber DCOE's, manifolds, etc.  I believe
> Steve Darby will sell these items directly to you at a fairly good
> savings (read: don't buy from Moss).  Of course carbs are available used.
>
> His web site is gone but you can email him direct at: elan@highfiber.com.
>  I have not had much success when I have emailed him.  He seems to "pop"
> into the list once in awhile when he wants to sell something but he is
> not good about responding.
>
> So having said all this, I am doing a V8.  I have the engine (Buick
> 215/Rover 3.5), the transmission (Borg Warner T5 World Class), and am
> looking for a bell housing.  Ya know where I can find a 1961 Buick bell
> housing?  The V8 will cost more than the crossflow setup, I think I'll be
> into it about $3000 (I have $750 into it now).  But I'll have a car that
> cruises at 71mph at 2500rpm.  A calculated top speed of over 140mph, and
> zero to 60 acceleration in less than 6 seconds.  All of this with no
> sacrifice in handling.
>
> This all started cause I was tired of being smoked by Miata's.  I think
> my goal will be accomplished!
>
> By the way it is easy to get 185hp out of the Rover engine and 200hp
> isn't much of a trick, I have heard some get 300hp.  I think the Darby
> setup got about 145hp max???  And remember the V8 weighs less than the
> stock 4 cylinder, and doesn't work as hard to do it's job.
>
> Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
> Denver, CO USA

Larry,
        Well, as cliche as it sounds, there is no replacement for
displacement.  We can talk about turbochargers and superchargers all
day, but you probably have the right idea going with the V-8.
Especially considering that the above power goodies will work on a
V-8 as well.
        I think the 145hp on Steve Darby's page was referring to the use
of the crossflow head AND a 2.0 litre kit.  I think the head by
itself topped out at 120 or so, at some god-awful high RPM.  Of
course, since the page is gone now (and the comparison charts had
been removed before the page even went away), I'm just going from
memory now.
Scott