Re: Anti-Seize Compound on head studs?

To: saschris@flash.net
Subject: Re: Anti-Seize Compound on head studs?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 18:44:26 +0000
> Hello All-
>
> In preparation for installation of my newly rebuilt cylinder head, I
> purchased new studs for the head.  Several of the old studs were real
> buggers to remove, and I would like to solicit the wisdom of the list on
> the merits of anti-seize compound on these studs (the end that goes into
> the block!)
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Delling

Chris,
        You'll undoubtedly get responses from listers much more
knowledgeable than I, but my head studs have always been easy to
remove, and all I do is give them a light coat of oil on the threads
prior to installing them.  One caution when using anti-seize (or oil,
for that matter) on blind holes is not to use too much of it.  If you
glob the stuff on, and then install the stud, when it gets to the
bottom of the hole, there will be no place for any excess goop to go,
and you can form a hydraulic lock.  At best, the stud wouldn't be all
th way down in the hole.  At worst, the pressures involved might
crack something.  Also keep in mind that anything you put on the
threads might affect your torque readings when you go to tighten the
studs down.
Scott