Problems solved

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Problems solved
From: "Tom Reichard" <Tom@LakeMurray.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 18:56:56 -0500
I recently asked for help with two problems, and got plenty of good advice.
Thanks to all. Wanted to report back on what worked:
(1977 RB Midget, desmogged, Weber DGV, Mallory dual-point ignition)

PROBLEM 1: Backfiring on overrun.

The air pump had been left operational by PO, but all other smog stuff
removed. Removing the air pump cured the backfiring, and the engine runs
beautifully. Did I cure the symptom and not the problem? Could be I guess.
But I had replaced points/condenser, set the timing, and from all
appearances the ignition is completely in order. It makes sense to me that
if some models need a gulp valve to dump the air flow at high (low?) vacuum
to prevent backfiring, I shouldn't be pumping air into the exhaust manifold
with no other pollution stuff present. (Also learned the stock 1500 Midget
had NO gulp valve from 1977-79. Wonder why??)

PROBLEM 2: One signal light wouldn't blink, although the bulb lit steady and
the flasher, wiring, ground (earth), and switch all appeared good.

Would you believe that changing the bulb (to another supposedly identical
one) solved the problem? For some reason, the original bulb drew
insufficient current to make the flasher function, even though it lit. Very
strange.

Again, thanks to all for your suggestions. This list is a fantastic
resource.

Tom