Re: American Sports Car Trivia (no LBC)

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: American Sports Car Trivia (no LBC)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 01:28:10 +0000
> Hi Scott:
>
> That's a bit of a toughie but here's one for you.  The first Buick Riviera
> was built in 1949 and the name was used more or less continuously from then
> on.  During a portion of that time the name was used on a four door car but
> the bulk of them were two door sport coupes.  Another "sport coupe" dating
> from even earlier is the Cadillac Coupe deVille from 1948.
>
> The Corvette, 1953, would have to be next of existing American sports
> cars/sport coupes as is the Cadillac Eldorado which was considered a
> "sports car" at its introduction and has always been a sports
> coupe/convertible.
>
> These were followed by Thunderbird 1955-1997.  Of course the Thunderbird
> was a four door for a few years in the late sixties and seventies.
>
> After that I'm stumped.
>
> What was your answer?
>
> John
John,
Well, you win the award for most thorough answer.  I'm glad the other
guy didn't have the car knowledge you do, or we might have started
picking nits.  I answered the T-bird, since there were no 1983
Corvettes.  I have a hard time stretching the Riveria or just about
ANY Cadillac into the "sport coupe" family.  "Sport Sedan", maybe.
Of course, a you pointed out, the T-birds WERE pretty pedestrian
for a few years in the 70's.  Based on continuous production years,
the Mustang still beats the Corvette, even with its dark "pinto/Mach
II" years.
Scott