Re: Topping up Front Dampers

To: Chris Nevard <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topping up Front Dampers
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 10:17:39 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Chris Nevard wrote:

> Happy Listers
>
> One the front dampers on my '71 Midget is just getting a tad lazy. I
> believe it can be topped up. I can't in any of my manuals find which
> grade of fluid to use. I guess I should put the car up on some axle
> stands to remove any pressure when doing this?

Chris,
remove the damper, put it on your workbench and open the plug.  Fill with
ATF (you could add a little seal sweller if it leaks) and pump the lever
slowly until you see no more bubbles.  Refit the plug and reinstall.

I have not tried refilling one on the car, but since it is mounted at an
angle with the plug down, this might not work.

                                                           '67 Sprite