Re: Topping up Front Dampers

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Topping up Front Dampers
From: Chris Nevard <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:34:24 -0800 (PST)
MGers

Thankyou very much for all your replies
Had a play this morning - looks an easy enough job. Car is coming up
for its yearly test in a week or two (MOT) don't want to give those
guys any excuse.

Many thanks again

Chris Nevard

---"ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>   Good news for you on this question--there is no pressure in the
damper
> except when the lever is actually moving. The lever moves a piston
back
> and forth, and the movement of the piston shoves the oil through a
small
> orifice. That's what provides the damping action.
>   You will probably need to put it up on the stand and remove the
wheel,
> just to get at the thing.  If you pour in more than a tablespoon or
two
> of fluid, you will probably find that there is air trapped in the
damper.
> You might try jacking the wheel up and down as much as you can, to
try to
> pump out the air.  Best way, of course, is to remove the damper to
your
> workbench, but second best way would be to fill it, drive, check and
> refill, drive, etc until it won't take any more fluid.
> Bob
>
> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998 08:06:19 -0800 (PST) Chris Nevard
> <spridgeteer@yahoo.com> writes:
> >Happy Listers
> >
> >One the front dampers on my '71 Midget is just getting a tad lazy. I
> >believe it can be topped up. I can't in any of my manuals find which
> >grade of fluid to use. I guess I should put the car up on some axle
> >stands to remove any pressure when doing this?
> >
> >Cheers

==
Chris Nevard

"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

<http://www.mgcars.org/cambs.mgoc/images2/chris.jpg>
Work <nevardc@sky4.bskyb.com> Other <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>