Re: MGB kits and engines.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB kits and engines.
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 00:57:37 +0000
> Going through my issue of Kit Car Magazine again, I noticed that the
> two kits that are based on the MGB chassis list three engine options,
> the MGB 1.8L, the Rover 3.5L V-8, and....the Ford 2.8L V-6!  Does
> this mean that there is a mass-produced conversion kit for this swap?
>   I'm going to call the two companies that produce the kits and see
> if I can get any more information, but this might be an option for
> those wanting to upgrade the engine.  I'm sure that a lot of
> accessories exist for the Ford 2.8L, since I think this was the
> engine that the Capris used during the 70's (At least, those Capris
> that weren't V-8s).
>       I don't have any information on the engine, such as horsepower or
> weight, but I'll try to find that tonight, too.
> Scott

Well, after doing some web searching, the Ford 2.8L V-6 doesn't look
like uch a good idea after all.  Turns out it was pretty underpowed
in stock form, about 100hp at the rear wheels.  This wouldn't be so
bad, except that there are almost NO performance parts available in
the aftermarket.  I asked some Ford fans, and they said that with the
exception of headers, K&N filters, and an Edelbrock manifold to fit a
Holley four-barrel carb, there wasn't much else you could do to it.
        I did find the weight, and it's about 30 pounds lighter than the
stock MGB block, but nothing to get excited over.
Oh well,
Scott