Re: MGTD Radiator

To: tr6@pipeline.com
Subject: Re: MGTD Radiator
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 09:42:12 EST
Hi Ron,
>1. Should the radiator top inlet be in the center line of the >radiator?
        Yes, and the thermostat casting is a straight pipe.You said that
yours was off to the right.  That's not the standard unit.   If it is not
rising straight from the head, it could be a replacement that worked but
didn't fit. There have been  some strange connections seen to this part
with some efforts to install a heater in the car. >
>2. Should the outlet on the head and the inlet on the radiator line >up?
        Yes>
>3. Where are some areas I can look at to see where my problem is?
        The engine mounts are on the centerline of the chassis, so if
they are in good shape the engine should be in the center too. You might
check for oval bolt holes in the front mount, and look to see that it is
symmetrical. The aircleaner manifold should clear the side of the bonnet
easily, unless you have the MkII manifold and do not have the additional
bump on the side of the bonnet.  Are these the standard carbs?  Are you
sure that the radiator is standing up straight? Perhaps getting the car
onto a level floor and putting levels on car and radiator would reveal
something. >
>4. How do you tell if the engine is sitting correctly (I don't know if
>it>is leaning to the right or the front is offset to the right)?
        Try measuring the front engine mount from some point in the
chassis to see that it is centered. THe mount itself should be a hard
block of rubber. If it's at all soft or bulged out at the front and rear,
time to replace. The front is easy.  The rear mounts are ornery. The
engine really wants to stand up straight. The turnbuckle adjustment
merely serves to keep it straight against the torque forces, so the
turnbuckle is not used to position the engine.
        If this doesn't make sense, write back and I'll take some
measurements off my TD for you.
Bob