Re: Aerosol Rustproofing Fluid

To: "Jon Larsen" <jon.larsen@mnplan.state.mn.us>, <BobMGT@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Aerosol Rustproofing Fluid
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 22:55:41 -0500
I have been using Corroless for 10 or 12 years, and it works better than
anything I have ever seen to stop rust.  I have only used the brush-on
type, and it is like red oxide primer paint.   It can be topcoated with
other paint, but does not have to be.  The first time I ordered Corroless
(from a distributor in Texas that services the off-shore oil rig industry),
they sent along two small complementary bottles of something called
"Cortrol Wax".  This stuff was dark brown, waxy,  and much heavier than
Waxoyl, but could be thinned to the consistency of Waxoyl.  I used it to
cover battery terminals and nuts and bolts that I didn't want to rust
together again.  Normal Corroless is a paint,  and is now available in an
aerosol spray, but I'm sure the manufacturer also has a product similar to
Waxoyl.  I don't believe Eastwood carries the waxy stuff.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt."  -- Mark Twain

----------
> From: Jon Larsen <jon.larsen@mnplan.state.mn.us>
> To: BobMGT@aol.com; mgs@autox.team.net; jmc987@earthlink.net
> Subject: Re: Aerosol Rustproofing Fluid
> Date: Wednesday, January 07, 1998 10:38 AM
>
> RE: Corroless and Eastwood
>
> I just got a catalog from Eastwood yesterday (yippee!) and it appears
that at least one of their products called Corroless isn't so much like
Waxoyl, but rather is more of a chemical conversion rust stabilizer that
goes on like a primer coat. It comes in either spray cans or liquid
pints/quarts for brush-on, or maybe it can be sprayed with a sprayer. It
leaves a red/brown indicator color coat to show coverage. No serious rust
removal or metal prep, according to Eastwood. Just put it on and the rust
quits rusting. It doesn't seem to be waxy, though. I think you are supposed
to be able to paint over it. Maybe they have another "Corroless' product
that IS waxy? I didn't finish reading the catalog yet.

> Knowing how books get edited, if Porter had offered techniques that
discussed both Waxoyl and Corroless, some editor may have jammed the two
concepts together and come up with a mythical Corroless Cavity Wax, if this
is the only citiation anybody has seen. Just a possibility.

     !