To roll or not to roll

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: To roll or not to roll
From: Darren_Jameson@illinova.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 08:45:04 -0600
I second the motion on using a rollbar.
Back in 1985 a couple of friends and I piled into my '66B and went down to
Carbondale, IL (infamous for parties at Southern Illinois University).
Upon reaching our destination, I parked the MG and noticed a man sitting in
a wheelchair nearby.
He was admiring the MG, as anyone with good taste would and said,
"Beautiful car, man.  I had one just like that back in the '70's."
Anyway, long story - short.  He went on to tell me that he was a
parapelegic due to the fact that he rolled his MG and fractured his neck.
I pondered quietly to myself that day on the way home.
This is not to say that everyone with a convertible top should have a
rollbar.  I do simply because of the added safety factor not only for
myself, but also for the ones that I love.  I've also installed a set of
vintage lap belts.
I do agree it does take away from the line of the car, but it's a small
sacrifice for what could happen...
My 2 cents.
Darren Jameson
'66B