Re: Best order to perform restoration.

To: Bert & Jen Ljungstrom <BURIEL@nb.sympatico.ca>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Best order to perform restoration.
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 10:51:57 -0500
At 10:19 AM 1/11/98 -0400, Bert & Jen Ljungstrom wrote:

>Currently the car has been styripped of

>its interior, dash, windshield and other miscellania.  The engine and

>trans arec still in the car.  Every aspect of the car needs restored.

>My question is : What is really the bestorder to do it in.

>ie. Body shell first or engine and suspension etc?

You know, if I had the chance to do my cars over, I would start with the
bodyshell, and have it all primed and painted.  Remove everything and send the
body to a stripping

company and have them dip it.

While the body is being painted, redo engine, if it needs to be rebuilt.

If you aren't doing the bodyshell and only plan on just getting the exterior
painted, then leave painting for last.

Things you might want to do to body while parts are off would be Waxoyl-ing
your frame members.  Drill holes into your frame members and spray that Waxoyl
all over the inside.

Suspension can be left for a later project, but can be done anytime.

Leave interior work for last, as you don't want to get you grubby hands all
over the interior and mess it up.

As a rule, if you can see a few projects into the future, try to group them to
save labor.  For example, if you want to paint your engine bay, remove engine
and tranny and rebuild them, while also painting the engine bay.  If you want
to do suspension work, clean wheel wells also and apply undercoating.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.