Re:Moss Motors; WAS kingpin to spindle

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:Moss Motors; WAS kingpin to spindle
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 16:04:16 -0500
At 02:20 PM 1/10/98 -0600, Patton Dickson wrote:

>Hey everybody,

>Today the front suspension was supposed to go back on, but I have come

>across another glitch.

>When I tighten the king pin nut down, the spindles will not turn.  After

>a few of us (it was during the tech session) scratched our heads, it was

>decided that the shim that sits between the kingpin and the spindle was

>not enough.  Dennis Bufton had a parts manual, and it show that there

>are three sizes that are available for this purpose, so we are probably

>on the right track.  The problem is that of the major suppliers, only

>Mini Mania lists these, and they tell me that it is basically on

>indefinite backorder (they may be able to find a couple out of a broken

>kit in their shop, but they won't know that till next week.  After I

>called Moss, they used the parts numbers I had and had 2 (of the .008),

>those I bought, but would rather have a little more to work with that

>just two, and I would like to get the smaller size (.003) so I can get

>this right.  Vicky Brit, Special Interest both basically gave me the old

>S-O-L answer.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but this a good reason to support Moss
Motors.

I've shopped through "The Proper MG", Moss, Vicky Brit, and Brit-Tek, and Moss
seems

to be the best about trying to stock all parts, even if they are no longer
available through regular distributors.

The Turn Signal Switch with built-in overdrive switch is no longer available
from Brit-Tek, and Proper MG, but Moss still carries.  Albeit the switch is
$90, but I can't stand having to fiddle with the switch to get my wipers
working; not to mention the fact that it is unsafe.

Disclaimer:  I am financially related to Moss Motors, since I purchase MG parts
from them; if this bothers you, so be it.  I just wanted to commend a fine
company.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.