Odometer woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Odometer woes
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:05:29 EST
Well, It happened again.
 For the 3rd time in my LBC "career", I've had an odometer turn up all
zero's.  The Midget did it twice since I've owned her, and this weekend,
the B felt it was time for a fresh start.
  I was watching the numbers roll from 99999 to 00000 when with the
digets, half way from  complete, just stopped.
 I know exactly what the problem is. The little plastic gear which drives
the odo off the input shaft is stripped. It ain't hard to replace, if you
can get another.
  Both times when the Midget turned over, it stripped the gear. Now the
B.
 Is this some kind of built in self denial mechanism?  You know, like the
lady who has been 39 for the last 15 years.  Maybe MGs refuse to admit
that they have in excess of 100,000miles, and to keep the obvious from
showing, they automatically eat the little gear, so the all zeros don't
ever quite show.
  Anybody else out there in List-Land ever have this problem? Or is it
just me? Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right or something?
Weird little cars, these LBCs
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget