Re: Odometer woes

To: gardner7@pilot.infi.net
Subject: Re: Odometer woes
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 20:31:22 EST
On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:24:21 +0000 "Scott Gardner"
<gardner7@pilot.infi.net> writes:

>Kind of along the same lines, my car seems to be eating speedometer
>cables.  About 12,000 miles ago, I replaced it when the speedometer
>and odometer both quit working (broken cable).  Now, the speedometer
>still works, but it bounces a little.  The odometer has completely
>quit.  I've had the odometer temporarily quit when it had to turn too
>many digits at the same time, but this time it quit at 93,439 miles,
>which doesn't seem like a magical number or anything.  What does it
>mean when the odometer quits before the speedometer?
>Scott

I'd almost bet it's the same problem I had.
 Remove the Speedo from the car. Take the face plate off by turning it
about 30 degrees in either direction. Remove the "guts" by unscrewing the
two screws at the back of the cover. Be careful when the last one comes
loose so as to not drop the mechanism on the floor Hold your hand over
the face to catch it.
  Now, look at the mechinism from the rear, with the dial in the correct
position.  Just below the threaded shaft when the cable connects, you'll
see a small gear (usually red) which connects to a worm drive on the
cable shaft. Inspect it closely. You will probably find that it has
several teeth worn off, and they just happen to be at the worm drive, but
not making contact.  This gear is what drives the odometer ratchet
mechanism.
  To replace it, look to the right, on the other side of the block it is
riding in, and you'll see a white nylon arm held in place by a rounded
diamond shaped steel lock, on a brass or steel pin. Gently press the lock
and move the hole in the lock til is lines up with the pin. This releases
the lock and the nylon arm can be removed. Using your finger, press the
gear out of its hole and replace it.
  "Reassembly is the reverse of the above"
 The biggest problem is finding a good replacement gear.  If you can find
a broken speedo, you might find it has a good gear (my favorite method).
I don't know of a source for them new.  There doesn't seem to be any
difference in the tooth count with one exception, as all the ones Ive
seen have the same gear. The exception is the Midget speedo.  It has a
coarser gear than does the B, and the worm drive is also coarser.
 Good luck
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget