Brake Lines

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brake Lines
From: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:56:08 -0900
Sages,
  I'm in the process of replacing brake lines on my 57 MGA and have developed a
problem.  I've got and used often a double flare tool for other brakeline jobs
and thought I'd do the same on my car.  What I find is that some lines use
bubble
flares and some use standard double flares.  Are all the flares suppose to
be bubble
type and some previous owner used the wrong or are they mixed.  Also I find
that Moss
doesn't supply pipe sets any longer and don't offer many individual lines.
Now I seem
to recall that on early MGA's (which my car falls into) used BSA threads
instead of
UNF threads.  It seems the combination of the line fitting threads with the
bubble vs. double flare configuration is getting just a tad bit complicated.
I can buy bubble
flare to double flare adapters in metric size threads but I'm not sure that
will
answer the problem.
   I think I'd be willing to part with some money on this problem if I knew
I'd get
a good product.  Any thoughts or experience would be extremely appreciated
on this
problem.
   Any good literature out there that might cover this early combination of
flares,
sizes and threads.  None of my books are of much help.
                          Thanks,
                  Gregg Baker