Re: Winter update

To: "ROBERT G. HOWARD" <mgbob@juno.com>, MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Winter update
From: Simon Bosworth <simon@hpi50.dsddhc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 09:35:11 -0600

ROBERT G. HOWARD wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>   Thanks for the news.  I drove my B in Maine for several winters and
> found it to be a well balanced, predictable car. It did hang up on snow
> banks, but as long as the wheels had weight on them the car would go.
>   Where in this icy world are you located?
>   This fall I put a 195 thermostat in the GT, covered about 1/3 the
> radiator with cardboard, and wrapped the oil cooler with duct tape.  Temp
> comes up to N within a mile or so and stays there.  If you haven't
> already tried blocking some of the air flow, it does make a difference in
> comfort.
>   Last year I covered the air intake on the cowl.  It stopped the drafts
> through the face-level vents, but also cut off air supply to heater and
> defroster. This year I lifted out the grille and put sandwich baggies on
> the two pipes that come out from the passenger area. Held them on with
> elastic bands.  Now the heater works better and the face level vents
> don't vent. It's an all weather cruiser now.
> Bob

Bob,
thanks for the heater improvement ideas, I will try that.  Unfortunately the
GT would not start this morning.  What a wimpy car! it wasn't that
cold...-12F  Oh, well at least it got me home ok last night when it was -2F.
The worst part was that I had todig my backup car out from under a pile of
snow and ice to get to work :-(

Cheers,
Simon