Re: TD watwe temp/level

To: Roger Wilt <rdwilt@pol.net>, MGs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TD watwe temp/level
From: Skip Kelsey <kelsey@value.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 07:28:35 -0800
Roger:

Under normal conditions, the temp should hover around 71 to 75 degrees C.
Under hot conditions they will run 80 to 85 degrees C. I start getting
nervous once they pass 90 degrees C.
As to the water height in the tank, you really can do nothing for it except
the following.
Go to a wrecking yard and get a late MGB overflow tank. They are made out
of brass, and good quality. Then install a series 24 battery. Slide it all
the way to the left side of the battery box. This will allow enough room to
slide the overflow tank in the space provided. Go to a good hardware store
and pic up several feet of clear plastic hose and connect one end to the
bottom of the overflow tube on your radiator. The other end to the over
flow tank that you have just installed.Attach a smaller length to the over
flow tube on the bottle, and let it hang straight down below the car.
Replace the pressure cap on the bottle with a non-pressure cap. Part no.
GRC 126. Then make sure that you have a good rubbler seal on the cars
radiator cap. You now have a very good coolant recovery system on your
MG-TD/TC. The coolant will now expand into the overflow bottle, and when it
cools it will be drawn back into the radiator. This way you never lose
coolant, and also you have more coolant available to keep your car at a
reasonable temperature. I did this to my car about 12 years ago, and have
had no more problems.

Cheers:

Skip..........http://shadetreemotors.com