Re: Transmission Leak

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Leak
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:08:59 -0500
Dan-

I am familiar with the hole you describe, and the cotter pin thing is
normal - or at least both of my B trannies had it too.  Don't know why it's
there.

Now the bad news.  The bell housing is not filled with oil.  If oil is
coming out of the hole, then you either have a leaky rear seal on the
crank, or a leaky seal on the transmission shaft.  Either one is going to
entail removal of the engine to correct.

If the leak is minimal, I would think you could live with it until you are
ready to do more work to the motor.

Regards,

Chris Delling

At 09:54 PM 1/14/98 -0600, DANIEL RAY wrote:
>Listers,
>I said that I'd have numerous questions, and I just couldn't wait for this
one!

>The car has one leak, and it is coming from a small hole at the rear of
the bell housing on the transmission. I've looked everywhere for a diagram
to tell me what this hole might be, but all of them are depicted at a
side-angle.
>Here is the scary part, besides the oil dripping out (which is not really
that scary on an LBC, is it?) --
>What appears to be the bent ends of a cotter pin are dangling from this hole!
>Does anyone know what this hole is?
>I have half a mind (which is a majority of my brain capacity) to take some
chewing gum, plug the little hole, fill the thing with the proper oil and
forget about it until the brakes, head and exhaust are fixed.
>Any idea what this is? Any leads on a diagram that will show me what this
is? I have the major catalogs and the Haynes manual and couldn't find
anything.
>BTW, the transmission works great, nice solid shifts, no grinds...."Like
Butta"