Re: Springtime in the Smokies

To: spook01@mindspring.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Springtime in the Smokies
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:22:44 EST
In a message dated 1/15/98 11:46:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
spook01@mindspring.com writes:

> PS I highly recommend the Springtime in the Smokies show in Townsend that
>  will be held, I understand, on May 2 this year.  We wouldn't miss it.  A
>  couple from England were staying at the hotel next to the show grounds a
>  couple of years ago, and commented that they thought that they were home
>  when they saw the cars! The Blount County sports car club are super
>  friendly, and I think that all of you will be amazed at the variety of cars
>  and the surrounding atmosphere.  The price is VERY reasonable and the drive
>  through the Smokie Mountains afterward is beautiful. The nearest airport is
>  Knoxville, TN.

I would like to second that in a BIG way! The show will indeed be held on May
2, and as I mentioned in a previous post, the USAF Thunderbirds will be
performing at McGee Tyson air base May 2 & 3. You get double your money's
worth! The Thunderbirds are performing in conjunction with the annual Dogwood
Arts Festival, which is in itself a very good show of arts and crafts. Triple
your money's worth. And, if that were not enough, the Smokeys are just a very
few miles away, and provide some wonderful wilderness experiences, with some
super twisty LBC type roads, with spectacular scenery to boot. Quadriple your
money's worth! And if that is not enough, we also have Pidgeon Forge just a
few miles away, which is a shoppers paradise, with dozens and dozens of
discount outlets. For the kids, Pidgeon Forge is very like a carnival, with
plenty of things for kids to do - Dollywood, for example. Five times your
money's worth!

One minor correction, though: the Knoxville airport is not in Knoxville - even
though it is shown on the map that way - , but is in Alcoa, about 12 miles
away, and is a major airport, serviced by all of the major airlines. Alcoa is
closer to the car show than Knoxville, about 18 miles from Townsend. There are
enough rooms in Townsend for everyone, but if you prefer, Alcoa/Maryville
(twin cities) have plenty of rooms, and is close enough to commute to the
show.

You might prefer to stay in Gatlinburg (an arts and crafts type community
between Pidgeon Forge and the Park, at the entrance to the park) or in Pidgeon
Forge. Both are about a 30-45 minute drive from the show site, and the drive
is wonderful.

For more details, see:

http://www.warelogic.com/bbcltd/

Hope to see you all there!  If I can answer any questions, please let me know.
I would like to see all of you there this year.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74