computer glitches (OT)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: computer glitches (OT)
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:08:26 EST
Off topic - but relevant if you want to continue to collect your email on
a Gateway2000

Notwithstanding the upcoming (ongoing??) debate about macs vs pcs and the
advent of the 21st century
I thought id tell you of a potential problem (or a potential fix) i
learned this week
which may be a precursor to what will happen in 2 years time

For about 4 months my pc at home would not perform certain functions,
notably it would not run email software or access the internet, it also
denied me access to certain functions citing "something or other missing
in WIDGETS.EXE" and the like.

It has been to a so-called expert twice and a hundred or so bucks a pop
and they couldnt do anything with it except delete everything and then
i'd reload all the software - guess what, it didnt work.
I was resigned to the thing being consigned to a childs bedroom to play
games on (it would do most of those) when my wife decided to have a
tinker..........
One of the first things she did was check the date deep in the bowels of
the thing................. it was wrong, she cant remember   what it was
but she corrected it
Guess what - almost everything is now running fine, witnessed by my
windbagging you all to death this evening from home as opposed to my
office.
Its a pity she didnt make a note of the incorrect date, could it have
been 2000 and the thing was going to wait 80 years to be invented?? -

Anyone hear of this before? - Anyway, im glad to be able to collect the
list at home again,Damn business ruins my enjoyment of it at work!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster